Word Now!

CBM'S OTHER PAGES

Monday, February 6, 2012

CBM Review - Jezebel

Author - Jacquelin Thomas
A Fiction Novel based on scriptural truths

Excerpt:

"I'm so sorry, Lord. Please forgive me for using my baby like that. If You bless me with another child, I promise I won't ever do it again. I won't, Lord. I promise." spoken by Jessie Belle


The cover of this book made me a little apprehensive to read further. I really like to control what my eyes see and what my ears hear lately.  But once I was able to get beyond the book's jacket it was worth the effort.  Thomas's version of Jezebel was, in my humble opinion, colored by a modern landscape but remained respectfully close to the scriptural account. 



Have you ever anxiously whispered the prayer in our excerpt above?  Lord, if you do this I'll do that...well that's what our main character Jessie Bell succumbed to and much, much more. Her role as a controlling, idolater translated easily from the Bible account to our 2012.  She was not only a menace to men but she pitted herself an enemy of God. I actually had to get my Bible and start re-reading the story to refresh my memory of  I and II Kings.


What's interesting is before reading this novel I had Jezebel pinned only under the lustful title.  I don't know where I got that notion  from but this woman had made herself a god. Subtle examples of this are present when she, on multiple occasions, advised her husband Traynor to trust in her, to allow her to get him where he needed to be, a role only God should have in the life of any follower of Christ.




I learned that Jezebel's problem wasn't just that she used her femininity to beguile but that she used whatever she could to achieve her goal.  That goes to show that even though we are ever learning about God there is nothing new under the sun.  We are all doing and re-doing the same things.  God has seen the same behavior since Adam and Eve in the garden. 



Our primary character was believable as she attempted to control her environment...her husband Traynor, son Holt, daughter-in-law Frankie, best girlfriend Mary Ellen and a host of others in her life.   Jezebel's story has been told many times over but in Jacquelin's version I could imagine this person living today. The behavior of the characters, a strong willed Jessie Bell, her husband Pastor Traynor the spirit-filled man of God in love with a beautiful woman, their family and friends  made the story come alive. 

After reading this story I took a long look at my own motivations and behavior.  The story was filled with the numerous twisted debacles of our heroine. Should I demote her to the mere title of main character due to her behavior? I think not because her use is much like that of the children of Israel in that we can decide to learn from her mistakes. In that wise, her sure destruction is beneficial to us all. God is not just gentle but he is strong and mighty and terrible.  We see this side of Him through this particular story.


I was reminded of one of my own pastor's recent sermons on salvation. Pastor Watts advised "you must put something (distance) between the old you and the you of today." This book exposes us to the subtlety of sin.  You don't have to have an affair on your husband to be guilty of this one.  We do however need to examine ourselves and put Christ Jesus between us and sin lest we remain guilty enemies of the Most High God and he judge us in that same state.





Line that stood out:

Expressed by Pastor Traynor (p. 259).  "Jezebel was a religious woman. She was also powerful cunning and arrogant. She actively opposed the Lord and worshipped idols. That was her character.'"



Take away scripture: (Galations 6:7-8)

7Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
8For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.



CBM gave Jezebel ...... 3B's

This novel asks the beloved to examine themselves. Judge yourself and submit to God. That message is definitely a challenge to us all. This points to Christ.


Better
Best
Beyond










Remember,

pray without ceasing.
Read your Bible every day and apply it till the Bridegroom comes!

Your sister in Christ
MJJaymz

No comments: