Word Now!

CBM'S OTHER PAGES

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Books hold Treasure

I read 'Hinds Feet on High Places' when I was about 14 years old.  To this day some of the scenes still play out in my mind. One summer my aunt Phyllis (diva in the Lord) introduced me to this wonderful work. We call her auntie even though she has 4 or so other sisters. The summer auntie passed this gem of a book on to me there was this bag she kept in her bedroom.  Her room was as beautiful as a hotel suite decked out with matching curtains and bed shams all the things you'd see in a Home and Garden advertisement.  When she pulled out that book from its special place it was almost as if I was a character in a movie about to embark on a special adventure into my maturity. I accepted the treasure and held it in her presence with as much care as a 14 year old could muster.  She believed I would appreciate a good book. I wasn't going to take that for granted. 

She was right to pass that book down to me.  I did need to read it and especially at that moment in my life.  The story line was about relationships highlighting the one with the Holy Spirit and the daily purging that goes along with that. God's spirit was with the main character. Her name was 'Much Afraid'. What no! She was so much like me from the start.  The books you can relate to are the best ones.

If you are an auntie or a mentor to a young person then, as a reader, it is your responsibility to pass on the treasures.  I know all about wanting to keep the books for your library or what have you but it is more valuable to share the gifts.  Not every book can change your mind.  For me that book my auntie shared did just that.  It changed my life and I have a copy in my favorite place ready for the next young thirsty soul to receive and be changed. So why don't you pass it on!

No comments: